> On Tuesday, July 25, 2023 at 4:24:04 PM UTC-6  Filipe Roque wrote:
> I have not found any discussion on the mailing list about this.
>
> JSON License has not been considered an open source license by Apache [1],
> Debian [2] and FSF [3] and is not OSI approved [4].
>
> Douglas Crockford has relicensed org.json:json java library to be Public
> Domain starting with version 20220924 [5].
>
> Jenkins requires plugins and its dependencies to be free and open source
> software [6][7].
>
> I did some analysis on the latest Jenkins plugins usage of org.json:json [8].
> I have found a total of 473 plugins that depend on org.json:json (directly or
> transitively), with 104 plugins being free versions, 67 plugins directly
> depend on non free versions of org.json:json.
>
> Is this an actual concern for the Jenkins project ? If so, how to proceed ?
>
> I think it is a concern for the Jenkins project.  Thanks for noting the
> issue.  I don't think the risk is high, but it is a concern that is worth
> some effort to assure that Jenkins remains free and open source.
>
> I believe one concern is related to software that is in the public domain not
> using an OSI approved license.  We could extend the definition of licenses
> accepted by the Jenkins project to include OSI approved licenses and public
> domain software.  That would address the concerns of those who worry that
> "public domain" is not a license.

That would make sense, yes.

> The other concern is how do we reduce the number of versions and encourage
> use of the public domain version instead of the not quite OSI approved
> license of the earlier versions.  I think that Basil's observation that the
> org.json:json should be made into a library plugin is the way to reduce the
> number of versions and encourage use of the public domain version.

I think it would be easier when the plugins (if they are still maintained)
would bump their version to the latest public domain version. Using a library
plugin needs someone to maintain the library and all plugins need to upgrade
their baselines and modernize the plugins (so it would be better to use a
library but will cause more work). Maybe this is something for Hacktoberfest?

> With regards to the list of plugins, only 7 of the 67 plugins that directly
> depend on versions prior to 20220924 have more than 1000 installations.
> Those seem like the first candidates to consider for either an upgrade of the
> library version or replacement of the library dependency with a plugin
> dependency.
>
> With regards to the analysis, I'm not confident in my understanding of the
> specific details of the analysis.  Maybe you can help me understand more
> clearly.

What do the colors mean in the spreadsheet?