Switching to Java 7 would be a mistake in my view based on the number of users
listed in the current usage summary.  If current development switches to Java
7, the Java 5 and Java 6 users will be stranded by a development choice, rather
than making their own choice of JDK.  I don't see enough benefit for Jenkins
developers or Jenkins users in the switch from Java6 to Java7, and I see a
large potential to alienate a very large portion of the user community if
development switched to a Java7 runtime dependency.

I'm in favor of switching from Java5 as the runtime dependency to Java6 as the
runtime dependency.  I assume it is one less thing to trouble the developers so
they don't have to continually check that they have not inadvertently
introduced a Java6 runtime dependency.

Mark Waite