Sounds like we have some terminology differences. These are test
failures, which I consider a failed builds. I've experimented with the
configuration in many different ways and it never results in a retry,
even when I set it to retry after "unstable" builds (test failure I
guess)

If the build passes all tests, it's a pass and "blue". If it fails any
tests at all it's "red" which I call a "hard failure", but others may
not, I reckon. In any case, our policy is that if it fails with test
failures, it's a failed build.

So I set it to retry upon "unstable" builds and it still does not retry.

These are grails builds, and we're using the spock test framework.

Here's the relevant sections of the build config:
  <com.chikli.hudson.plugin.naginator.NaginatorPublisher>
      <regexpForRerun></regexpForRerun>
      <rerunIfUnstable>false</rerunIfUnstable>   <-- original setting
      <checkRegexp>false</checkRegexp>
      <delay class="com.chikli.hudson.plugin.naginator.FixedDelay">
        <delay>1</delay>
      </delay>
      <maxSchedule>3</maxSchedule>
    </com.chikli.hudson.plugin.naginator.NaginatorPublisher>

--------

 <com.chikli.hudson.plugin.naginator.NaginatorPublisher>
      <regexpForRerun></regexpForRerun>
      <rerunIfUnstable>true</rerunIfUnstable>  <---- retry on unstable
      <checkRegexp>false</checkRegexp>
      <maxSchedule>2</maxSchedule>
    </com.chikli.hudson.plugin.naginator.NaginatorPublisher>

---------

In no cases does it retry.

Here is the end of an example build that fails due to test failures.

Running 342 spock tests... 188 of 342
| Completed 342 spock tests, 3 failed in 865846ms
| Compiling 1 source files
| Compiling 1 source files.
| Compiling 1 source files..
| Tests FAILED  - view reports in
/opt/comcast/data/jenkins/jobs/chimps-geb-grails-lb-test/workspace/target/test-reports
Build step 'Build With Grails' marked build as failure

Still didn't retry even after specifying retry after an "unstable" build.

--
- Ed