I think you've found a bug.  At least, my initial experiments seem to confirm
the same results you reported.

I had never experimented with the Naginator plugin before.  I installed it into
a Jenkins 1.466.2 installation and created a new free style project with a
single build step, a shell with the one line command "exit 1" and a single post
build action, retry failed build.

I configured the retry post build action to rebuild up to two times.

The first time that job ran, the jenkins log file contained the following
report:

INFO: Failure-Test #1 main build action completed: FAILURE
Sep 16, 2012 9:56:54 PM hudson.model.Executor run
SEVERE: Executor threw an exception
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
com.chikli.hudson.plugin.naginator.NaginatorListener.onCompleted(NaginatorListener.java:65)
        at
com.chikli.hudson.plugin.naginator.NaginatorListener.onCompleted(NaginatorListener.java:20)
        at
hudson.model.listeners.RunListener.fireCompleted(RunListener.java:178)
        at hudson.model.Run.run(Run.java:1488)
        at hudson.model.FreeStyleBuild.run(FreeStyleBuild.java:46)
        at hudson.model.ResourceController.execute(ResourceController.java:88)
        at hudson.model.Executor.run(Executor.java:239)

The job did not retry.

Can you submit a bug against the Naginator plugin?

Thanks,
Mark Waite