>From your two different solutions that you tried, the reasons for it not
triggering are as follows

Case 1 passing current build parameters, this only passes the parameters
when parametrized or those passed in.
So if no parameters are found in the build then downstream will no be
triggered unless the "Trigger build without parameters" item is selected.

Case 2 Passing a properties file,
This will always fail on a Matrix job as the parametrized trigger is
running on the parent job, not on any of the configurations, which means
that the properties file that    might be generated during a buildstep is
not present in the parent workspace and cannot be accessed as it may be on
another node. The parent workspace is not used for any building steps and
is not made visible in the web UI at any point.

As you have found using the "Predefined parameters" is the only solution to
this.

Chris