I came to that conclusion in our environment, for many other reasons. I
inherited the setup which had a master on osx, with slaves connected via
ssh (linux & osx) as well as jnlp (windows) which is why I didn't feel that
I could offer up any help.
The only thing I wasn't clear on with your set up is whether or not the
user you specify jenkins to ssh to the slave as can log into the slave
without entering a password.

chanda