But if you use periodic job trigger, it will run even if there are no
changes to the code.

I have the same problem -- polling and the job used to happen at the time I
had set.  Now there appears to be a delay.  I want it to run at a specific
time but only if there were code changes so I need to use the polling
trigger, not the periodic trigger.