The git plugin is not installed by default.  The Git plugin is listed in
the "Available" tab of the Update Center as "Jenkins GIT
plugin<http://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Git+Plugin>".
 It will also include the "Git Client
Plugin<http://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Git+Client+Plugin>"
when you select it.

Some questions that come to mind for consideration:

- How many plugins are listed in the "Available" tab of the "Update
Center"?  If it is less than several hundred. then you probably have a
connectivity issue to the Jenkins update center and are not seeing the
plugins that are available.  If you have a proxy between you and the public
internet, you may need to use the Jenkins global configuration or the
Update Center configuration to provide that proxy information.

- Can you reach the Jenkins Update Center from your web browser?  Does
http://updates.jenkins-ci.org/update-center.json return a page of JSON
information?

Mark Waite