>> when folks talk about build numbers, they don't talk in the thousands..

A sampling of some of our more frequent current builds shows that we have
few builds that are NOT in the thousands. The highest one is on build
number 31751 right now. That's the only one above 10,000, though.

Another thing you could check out is the next build number plugin:
https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Next+Build+Number+Plugin

If you have that installed, your users could have clicked a link on the
build page and set the build number to anything they want.

Curtis