Not sure that running a job 4 times per minute is stupid without more
information; one use case would be polling an unusual USB input device, like a
thermometer or a strain gauge or other scientific/engineering instrument.  I
would agree that Jenkins is probably the wrong thing to do this on.  Sure, you
could write a plugin, but you can write a plugin for anything.  With enough
ingenuity for writing plugins, I’m sure you could turn Jenkins into a perfectly
horrible fly-by-wire system.  If somebody does this, please let me know which
planes it’s installed on, so I can avoid them in my travel plans. ;*)

If you want to run a job at sub-minute intervals, neither Jenkins nor Cron are
your friend.  You want to write another program or script something that will
loop through launching your app and waiting the appropriate time.

Some interesting questions:
1: Do you want each job to launch 15 seconds after the previous one launched,
or after the previous one finished?
2: If a job somehow runs longer than 15 seconds, do you want to kill it, launch
a second job so that you have two running, or stop running jobs until the one
that you have is finished?

If you want to use Jenkins to track each run of the job (so that you can see
the output),  see
https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Monitoring+external+jobs.
Basically, your job can run on its own and report into Jenkins without Jenkins
being responsible for running it.

That being said, if you’re either running a job via Jenkins every 15 seconds or
just using Jenkins to monitor it, you will need a lot of memory for your
Jenkins JVM and will probably want to use the ‘discard old builds’ checkbox.
Jenkins loads the metadata for each job it “remembers” (not artifacts, not
logs, but the other information like run times and success/failure) into memory.

--Rob