We figured out this morning after looking at the code that returns the
status in the plugin a way to get this working:

https://github.com/jenkinsci/workflow-plugin/blob/1c8d22ab0ee7471d0ceb56b03070579d873bf9b8/support/src/main/java/org/jenkinsci/plugins/workflow/support/steps/build/BuildTriggerListener.java

If 'Propagate errors' is deselected for this step, it will always return
the RunWrapper object on completion rather than only returning it upon
success.

Since we've now disabled the ability for the workflow job to detect that
the downstream job failed automatically, we now need to parse the results
returned to use to check for how the build turned out.

Hope this helps anyone else who might be having similar troubles.

Rick