I faced the same issue and I decided to recompile the git plugin (actually
the git-client plugin which is a dependency of the git plugin) with the
patch submited in that Pull Request:
https://github.com/jenkinsci/git-client-plugin/pull/180/files (Note I'm not
the author of this patch)

It handles the single sub-case where all git submodules are using the same
credentials (and this is probably why it has not been merged yet) but it
works for me.

--
JC