I'm doing something similar. My current "solution" is as follows:

1) Jenkins master is run in a docker container. The dockerfile includes a

RUN /usr/local/bin/install-plugins.sh your plugins listed here

Currently I have only the following plugins:
blueocean (I know it's beta, but it make jenkins actually usable, so...)
digitalocean-plugin (master is in DO, and build agents are spun up there on
demand)
docker-build-step (we want to create docker images and push them to
dockerhub...)
github-oauth (we have an organization on gh: use that to determine who
people are)
github-branch-source (automatically scan repos in that organization and
detect Jenkinsfiles)

2) Absolutely minimal configuration in the Jenkins master. That means all
builds are driven by the Jenkinsfile in the repo with the code.

I'm trying to get scm-sync-configuration plugin working now, but I'm
realizing that maybe it's not even worth trying. I think I'll just go with
snapshotting the filesystem.