It doesn't seem that was the answer.

So I modified the script by adding:

job.scheduleBuild(0)

at the end to trigger a build.  I observed the job build in the web
interface.  However, the job did not build every minute after this.  I also
triggered a build by clicking the "Build Now" link in the web interface.
Even after this, the job does not build every minute as scheduled.
However, if I click save on the web interface at http://[my jenkins
url/[some jenkins job]/configure , then the job starts building every
minute.  I did not make any changes in the web interface job configuration
page, I simply pulled up the page and clicked save.

Does this sound like a bug?  I have several dozen jobs for which I want to
change the build triggers.  I am hoping to be able to do this via the
script console and not have to do it manually.