Thanks. I run it locally like this:

mvn clean deploy

Locally mvn can read the pom.yml because it loads the .mvn/extensions.xml
in the project directory first.

It looks like the Jenkins maven functionality just can't do this, judging
by your answer recommending the command line approach.

Is there anything on the horizon to add the functionality? Yaml really
makes the maven pom so much more readable, I'd hate to ditch it and I'm not
going to persuade other team members to change their poms over to yaml if
they can't use the straight-forward Jenkins freestyle or maven job types :(

Regards
Adam