Thanks for the reply Mark.

We do have git installed/configured on the controller and the hook does
succeed for some builds, but not all. The hook succeeds for other builds
that also are configured to run on the slave and builds that run on the
controller/master. We have only started seeing this problem with this
particular type of build which is configured to run on a slave node
(freestyle build with label).

In fact, for this particular hook, I can see the git verbose log show one
build trigger successfully and the other fail. Both builds run on the slave
and use same repo. I can't find any significant differences in those
builds: besides a few additional build steps and one using git publisher as
a post-build action, they have the same git executable configured (and as
you mentioned, shouldn't apply for hook).