Agreed with Richard.

Plus we literally have a thread on the dev list that's less than 10 days
old, where we discussed bumping the minimum requirement to Java 11.

IOW, I'd recommend defaulting to Java 11 unless you've got very compelling
reasons to run Java 8.
This way, when the requirement gets bumped, at some point (no date yet),
this will be a no-event for you :-). (or will be facing a wall if you chose
Java 8).

Cheers