>  I think Michael McConnell wrote:
>
>> Jess> (batch AVIS\\avis-proto.clp)
>> Jess reported an error in routine ValueVector.get
>>         while executing (batch
>> AVIS\avis-rules-proto-rules.clp)
>>         while executing (batch AVIS\avis-proto.clp).
>>   Message: Bad index -3 in call to get() on this
>> vector:  (name nil -1 loc nil -1 s
>> 1 days-required nil -1 rate-type nil -1 res-num nil -1
>> car-group-name nil -1).
>>   Program text: ( batch AVIS\avis-proto.clp )  at line
>> 1.
>

>That silly "Bad index -3" message always means you've mispelled the
>name of a slot, somewhere. I promise in Jess 6.0a7, it will finally be
>gone, and there will be clear, compile-time reporting of this
>kind of error.

Oh, thank-you, thank-you, THANK-YOU!  The clear reporting of this type of error
would be very, very helpful!

What I've found helps is to turn on all watches with a "(watch all)". JESS will
then at least tell you what the last good rule was before it encountered its
"bad index".  And since it processes the rules in order in the file, you have a
pretty good guess as to which rule is causing the problem.

-Chuck.