Robert,

thank you for the feedback. We have to find out whether you did something
wrong (unlikely) or whether java web start behaves inconsistently (much
more likely), your configuration is significantly different from the one I
tested in (very likely) or I made a mistake in my description (one might
wish this is unlikely, but...). What configuration do you work with? I work
with Windows Me, jdk1.3.1_02 and java web start 1.0.1_01
Maybe you can change the java web start configuration so that the java
console comes up (which displays more error messages) and you can also try
to type (batch demo.clp) at the JESS console within Protege. The fact that
demo.clp can't be found could either be the result of it being in the wrong
jar, the wrong "path" within a jar or java web start not allowing loading
of this file from a jar due to "security" issues. If the file demo.clp has
to be moved within a jar or from one jar to another, the solution is easy.
If there are any weird security issues, then the best solution is to sign
jess.jar and ask for all-permissions in jess-extension.jnlp. But: Then all
jars would have to have the same signature and I tried to make it easy for
you and signed everything (except JESS, which I am not allowed to sign or
re-distribute). In my test setup, everything worked without signing JESS,
but if this does not hold, you would have to sign all jars yourself. So:
depending on what caused the error on your machine I can upload a new "to
do" list.

cheers from foggy Vienna

:) Oliver