Exactely. I guess Robert stopped the JADE GUI with some other action than
"shutdown platform", which would be the correct way to do it.

Regarding the security issue:
I will put an alternative "to do" list on jadejessprotege.net in the next
days, with instructions on how to sign all the jars (including jess.jar).
If the problem was really security related, it should go away once
all-permissions has been set for all the jars in use.

java web start is very convenient, but also tricky: you don't have
classpath issues any more but you have to sign a lot of jars...

:) Oliver Hoffmann