I think David wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I am thinking of using the multi-agent approach to "solve" a problem I
> have with computation efficiency(not really sure if that is exactly what
> I facing). I am not sure how helpful it will be if I use multi agent
> systems to do it.

A multiagent system on a single machine will perform worse, not
better, than a single JVM, because the CPU will be doing just as much
work, but there will be additional overhead due to process context
switching and communications. If the JVMs were on multiple machines,
then you might see performance gains; but of course most developers
don't have the luxury of dictating what hardware their software will
be run on.

If your program is closely modeled after the HVAC simulator from JIA
(which I'm guessing it is, based on past coversations) then you can
probably improve things using a different architecture for the GUI
update. In the JIA simulator, the GUI has a thread that polls the
various devices for their values every 100 msec and updates every
widget in the GUI every time. Slowing down the updates would help of
course, but so would turning everything around the other way and
having change events from the devices drive the GUI updates -- that
way there would be updates only when something changes.

Finally, note that some graphing libraries will be more performant
than others. I don't know about JFreeChart, but make sure you're using
a library that's intended for dynamic updates, not one that's intended
to produce static graphs for printing.