>Finally, note that some graphing libraries will be more performant
>than others. I don't know about JFreeChart, but make sure you're using
>a library that's intended for dynamic updates, not one that's intended
>to produce static graphs for printing.

I recommend  SGT  (Scientific Graphics Toolkit)  Java API  from
NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) . This
package is free to download (source + binary).

http://www.epic.noaa.gov/java/sgt/

                        OR BUY A COMMERCIAL PACKAGE

JCarnacPro from  INT:

http://www.int.com/products/2d/jcarnac/jcarnacpro_prod_overview.htm

This package is one of the best 2D graphics I have seen for scientific
visualizations
available on the market.

Cheers,
Sione.