Hi Kimos:

I'm learning Jess, too!
One thing that I do to avoid errors with (Rete) executeCommmand() is to
build a command string first.
This way I can do a "sanity check" on its components before using it in
executeCommand().

A StringBuffer works nicely... for example:

Rete engine = new Rete();
StringBuffer cmd = new StringBuffer();
cmd.append("(assert ");
cmd.append(getString());        //A call to your other method somewhere - returns a
fact head at least I assume
cmd.append(")");
engine.executeCommand(cmd.toString());

A bit more code, but for some complex commands, it pays off.

However, if you are wanting a fact asserted from your getstring() method,
you don't need to use executeCommand().
Just use the (Rete) engine.assertString() method.

Rete engine = new Rete();
engine.assertString(getstring());  //Again, whatever you return from
getstring() better be at least "(fact-head)"

Hope this helps!
-JM

Jason Morris
Morris Technical Solutions