I think =?iso-8859-1?Q?Lars_H=FCbner?= wrote:

> Does it mean somewhat that in the error message no multivariables are
> contained? In the program code they are still specified.

I suppose that's another clue, yes. I am moving away from the term
"multivariable", because it's confusing; there's no difference at all
between a variable that holds a list and any other variable. The "$"
syntax is only meaningful within a pattern on the LHS of a rule, so
the fact that the "$" has disappeared here indicates that Jess isn't
thinking of these forms as patterns.