A quick "15 puzzle" google search yields some JavaScript implementations of
the game.  I got bored one day and did some quick internet research on how
to solve these.  Apparently, one of the easiest tricks is to solve an outer
row and column first.

For example,
 1 2 3 4
 5 x x x
 9 x x x
13 x x x

This will make that column/row correct, leaving you with a simpler 3x3
square to take care of.  Iterate this process until you get a 2x2 square.
Then solve the 2x2 square and you are pretty much done.  You should be able
to solve one in a few minutes.  It's probably one of those things that
would be easier to do procedurally, since brute forcing seems to be
relatively straight forward.

Also, I believe there are number combinations of the 15-puzzle that are not
solvable, so keep that in mind.

I'm not exactly a jess master, so I'll leave that part up to someone else.

--
Dane Wyrick
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

             "Wolfgang Laun"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             ail.com>                                                   To
             Sent by:                  jess-users@sandia.gov
             owner-jess-users@                                          cc
             sandia.gov
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: JESS: Puzzle 15
             05/08/2008 01:17
             PM

             Please respond to
             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                   .gov

I have never seen a program for this one in any language. Have you, or
anybody else?
-W

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 2:39 PM, Senlin Liang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>