I am testing several systems including Jess. I programmed it in Yap in a
similar procedural way, since there is no easy way to implement it in prolog
back-tracking systems, while this problem can be solved easily by constraint
programming systems like DLV.

I know the above procedural program is bad, but I really have no idea about
how to solve this problem in Jess more efficiently. Any help will be
appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
Senlin