I would like to create facts with the values initialized to unique
value for each asserted fact.  I do this, naturally, using the default-
dynamic.  However, I'm using the listener hooks and need to access
this value outside of the rules engine proper.  When I do so, the
evaluation of the function kicks off and sets the slot.

So I'm wondering about whether this messes up Jess' internal data
structures, as the evaluation happens "outside" of the running of the
rules engine - i.e. this is a modification not done via the modify()
call to the engine. Further, is there a way to have this slot
initialization performed immediately, upon the actual assert?  I was
thinking of trying to use defadvice and access these slots to force
the evaluation, but I seem to recall that the assert is a special
function which I can't apply defadvice to.