From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Daily devotions for 07-23-2004:
Devotion: Morning and Evening
Morning Title: One of Them
Evening Title: Clean Today
Do you enjoy this devotional? Send it on to a friend!

Morning: One of Them
"Even thou wast as one of them." --Obadiah 1:11

Brotherly kindness was due from Edom to Israel in
the time of need, but instead thereof, the men of
Esau made common cause with Israel's foes.
Special stress in the sentence before us is laid
upon the word thou; as when Caesar cried to
Brutus, "and thou Brutus"; a bad action may be
all the worse, because of the person who has
committed it. When we sin, who are the chosen
favorites of heaven, we sin with an emphasis;
ours is a crying offence, because we are so peculiarly indulged.

If an angel should lay his hand upon us when we
are doing evil, he need not use any other rebuke
than the question, "What thou? What dost thou
here?" Much forgiven, much delivered, much
instructed, much enriched, much blessed, shall we
dare to put forth our hand unto evil? God forbid!

A few minutes of confession may be beneficial to
thee, gentle reader, this morning. Hast thou
never been as the wicked? At an evening party
certain men laughed at uncleanness, and the joke
was not altogether offensive to thine ear, even
thou wast as one of them. When hard things were
spoken concerning the ways of God, thou wast
bashfully silent; and so, to on-lookers, thou
wast as one of them. When worldlings were
bartering in the market, and driving hard
bargains, wast thou not as one of them? When they
were pursuing vanity with a hunter's foot, wert
thou not as greedy for gain as they were? Could
any difference be discerned between thee and
them? Is there any difference?

Here we come to close quarters. Be honest with
thine own soul, and make sure that thou art a new
creature in Christ Jesus; but when this is sure,
walk jealously, lest any should again be able to
say, "Even thou wast as one of them." Thou
wouldst not desire to share their eternal doom,
why then be like them here? Come not thou into
their secret, lest thou come into their ruin.
Side with the afflicted people of God, and not with the world.

Evening: Clean Today
"The blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanseth us from all sin." --1 John 1:7

"Cleanseth," says the text--not "shall cleanse."
There are multitudes who think that as a dying
hope they may look forward to pardon. Oh! how
infinitely better to have cleansing now than to
depend on the bare possibility of forgiveness
when I come to die. Some imagine that a sense of
pardon is an attainment only obtainable after
many years of Christian experience. But
forgiveness of sin is a present thing--a
privilege for this day, a joy for this very hour.
The moment a sinner trusts Jesus he is fully
forgiven. The text, being written in the present
tense, also indicates continuance; it was
"cleanseth" yesterday, it is "cleanseth" to-day,
it will be "cleanseth" tomorrow: it will be
always so with you, Christian, until you cross
the river; every hour you may come to this
fountain, for it cleanseth still.

Notice, likewise, the completeness of the
cleansing, "The blood of Jesus Christ His Son
cleanseth us from all sin"--not only from sin,
but "from all sin." Reader, I cannot tell you the
exceeding sweetness of this word, but I pray God
the Holy Ghost to give you a taste of it.
Manifold are our sins against God. Whether the
bill be little or great, the same receipt can
discharge one as the other. The blood of Jesus
Christ is as blessed and divine a payment for the
transgressions of blaspheming Peter as for the
shortcomings of loving John; our iniquity is
gone, all gone at once, and all gone for ever.

Blessed completeness! What a sweet theme to dwell
upon as one gives himself to sleep.

"Sins against a holy God;
Sins against His righteous laws;
Sins against His love, His blood;
Sins against His name and cause;
Sins immense as is the sea-
>From them all He cleanseth me."
Daily devotions for 07-24-2004:

Devotion: Morning and Evening
Morning Title: Stand Still
Evening Title: This Mighty King
Do you enjoy this devotional? Send it on to a friend!

Morning: Stand Still
"Stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord." --Exodus 14:13

These words contain God's command to the believer
when he is reduced to great straits and brought
into extraordinary difficulties. He cannot
retreat; he cannot go forward; he is shut up on
the right hand and on the left; what is he now to
do? The Master's word to him is, "Stand still."
It will be well for him if at such times he
listens only to his Master's word, for other and
evil advisers come with their suggestions.
Despair whispers, "Lie down and die; give it all
up." But God would have us put on a cheerful
courage, and even in our worst times, rejoice in
His love and faithfulness.

Cowardice says, "Retreat; go back to the
worldling's way of action; you cannot play the
Christian's part, it is too difficult. Relinquish
your principles." But, however much Satan may
urge this course upon you, you cannot follow it
if you are a child of God. His divine fiat has
bid thee go from strength to strength, and so
thou shalt, and neither death nor hell shall turn
thee from thy course. What, if for a while thou
art called to stand still, yet this is but to
renew thy strength for some greater advance in due time.

Precipitancy cries, "do something. Stir yourself;
to stand still and wait, is sheer idleness." We
must be doing something at once--we must do it so
we think--instead of looking to the Lord, who
will not only do something but will do
everything. Presumption boasts, "If the sea be
before you, march into it and expect a miracle."
But Faith listens neither to Presumption, nor to
Despair, nor to Cowardice, nor to Precipitancy,
but it hears God say, "Stand still," and
immovable as a rock it stands. "Stand
still";--keep the posture of an upright man,
ready for action, expecting further orders,
cheerfully and patiently awaiting the directing
voice; and it will not be long ere God shall say
to you, as distinctly as Moses said it to the
people of Israel, "Go forward."

Evening: This Mighty King
"His camp is very great."   --Joel 2:11

Consider, my soul, the mightiness of the Lord who
is thy glory and defence. He is a man of war,
Jehovah is His name. All the forces of heaven are
at His beck, legions wait at His door, cherubim
and seraphim;, watchers and holy ones,
principalities and powers, are all attentive to
His will. If our eyes were not blinded by the
ophthalmia of the flesh, we should see horses of
fire and chariots of fire round about the Lord's
beloved. The powers of nature are all subject to
the absolute control of the Creator: stormy wind
and tempest, lightning and rain, and snow, and
hail, and the soft dews and cheering sunshine,
come and go at His decree. The bands of Orion He
looseth, and bindeth the sweet influences of the Pleiades.

Earth, sea, and air, and the places under the
earth, are the barracks for Jehovah's great
armies; space is His camping ground, light is His
banner, and flame is His sword. When He goeth
forth to war, famine ravages the land, pestilence
smites the nations, hurricane sweeps the sea,
tornado shakes the mountains, and earthquake
makes the solid world to tremble. As for animate
creatures, they all own His dominion, and from
the great fish which swallowed the prophet, down
to "all manner of flies," which plagued the field
of Zoan, all are His servants, and like the
palmer-worm, the caterpillar, and the cankerworm,
are squadrons of His great army, for His camp is very great.

My soul, see to it that thou be at peace with
this mighty King, yea, more, be sure to enlist
under His banner, for to war against Him is
madness, and to serve Him is glory. Jesus,
Immanuel, God with us, is ready to receive
recruits for the army of the Lord: if I am not
already enlisted let me go to Him ere I sleep,
and beg to be accepted through His merits; and if
I be already, as I hope I am, a soldier of the
cross, let me be of good courage; for the enemy
is powerless compared with my Lord, whose camp is very great.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/IYOolB/TM
Daftar : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Keluar : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Posting: [EMAIL PROTECTED]