From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Daily devotions for 07-27-2004:
Devotion: Morning and Evening
Morning Title: Believe the Promise
Evening Title: Free From Sin
Do you enjoy this devotional? Send it on to a friend!
Morning: Believe the Promise
"Exceeding great and precious promises." --2 Peter 1:4

If you would know experimentally the preciousness
of the promises, and enjoy them in your own
heart, meditate much upon them. There are
promises which are like grapes in the wine-press;
if you will tread them the juice will flow.
Thinking over the hallowed words will often be
the prelude to their fulfillment. While you are
musing upon them, the boon which you are seeking
will insensibly come to you. Many a Christian who
has thirsted for the promise has found the favour
which it ensured gently distilling into his soul
even while he has been considering the divine
record; and he has rejoiced that ever he was led
to lay the promise near his heart.
But besides meditating upon the promises, seek in
thy soul to receive them as being the very words
of God. Speak to thy soul thus, "If I were
dealing with a man's promise, I should carefully
consider the ability and the character of the man
who had covenanted with me. So with the promise
of God; my eye must not be so much fixed upon the
greatness of the mercy--that may stagger me; as
upon the greatness of the promiser--that will cheer me.

My soul, it is God, even thy God, God that cannot
lie, who speaks to thee. This word of His which
thou art now considering is as true as His own
existence. He is a God unchangeable. He has not
altered the thing which has gone out of His
mouth, nor called back one single consolatory
sentence. Nor doth He lack any power; it is the
God that made the heavens and the earth who has
spoken thus. Nor can He fail in wisdom as to the
time when He will bestow the favours, for He
knoweth when it is best to give and when better to withhold.

Therefore, seeing that it is the word of a God so
true, so immutable, so powerful, so wise, I will
and must believe the promise." If we thus
meditate upon the promises, and consider the
Promiser, we shall experience their sweetness,
and obtain their fulfillment.
Evening: Free From Sin
"Who shall lay anything to the charge of God's elect?" --Romans 8:33

Most blessed challenge! How unanswerable it is!
Every sin of the elect was laid upon the great
Champion of our salvation, and by the atonement
carried away. There is no sin in God's book
against His people: He seeth no sin in Jacob,
neither iniquity in Israel; they are justified in
Christ for ever. When the guilt of sin was taken
away, the punishment of sin was removed. For the
Christian there is no stroke from God's angry
hand--nay, not so much as a single frown of punitive justice.

The believer may be chastised by his Father, but
God the Judge has nothing to say to the
Christian, except "I have absolved thee: thou art
acquitted." For the Christian there is no penal
death in this world, much less any second death.
He is completely freed from all the punishment as
well as the guilt of sin, and the power of sin is
removed too. It may stand in our way, and agitate
us with perpetual warfare; but sin is a conquered
foe to every soul in union with Jesus.
There is no sin which a Christian cannot overcome
if he will only rely upon his God to do it. They
who wear the white robe in heaven overcame
through the blood of the Lamb, and we may do the
same. No lust is too mighty, no besetting sin too
strongly entrenched; we can overcome through the
power of Christ. Do believe it, Christian, that
thy sin is a condemned thing. It may kick and
struggle, but it is doomed to die. God has
written condemnation across its brow. Christ has
crucified it, "nailing it to His cross." Go now
and mortify it, and the Lord help you to live to
His praise, for sin with all its guilt, shame, and fear, is gone.
"Here's pardon for transgressions past,
It matters not how black their cast;
And, O my soul, with wonder view,
For sins to come here's pardon too."

Daily devotions for 07-28-2004:
Devotion: Morning and Evening
Morning Title: Confession of a Fool
Evening Title: He Did Good
Do you enjoy this devotional? Send it on to a friend!
Morning: Confession of a Fool
"So foolish was I, and ignorant; I was as a beast before Thee."
--Psalm 73:22

Remember this is the confession of the man after
God's own heart; and in telling us his inner
life, he writes, "So foolish was I, and
ignorant." The word "foolish," here, means more
than it signifies in ordinary language. David, in
a former verse of the Psalm, writes, "I was
envious at the foolish when I saw the prosperity
of the wicked," which shows that the folly he
intended had sin in it. He puts himself down as
being thus "foolish," and adds a word which is to
give intensity to it; "so foolish was I." How
foolish he could not tell. It was a sinful folly,
a folly which was not to be excused by frailty,
but to be condemned because of its perverseness
and wilful ignorance, for he had been envious of
the present prosperity of the ungodly, forgetful
of the dreadful end awaiting all such.
And are we better than David that we should call
ourselves wise! Do we profess that we have
attained perfection, or to have been so chastened
that the rod has taken all our wilfulness out of
us? Ah, this were pride indeed! If David was
foolish, how foolish should we be in our own
esteem if we could but see ourselves!
Look back, believer: think of your doubting God
when He has been so faithful to you--think of
your foolish outcry of "Not so, my Father," when
He crossed His hands in affliction to give you
the larger blessing; think of the many times when
you have read His providences in the dark,
misinterpreted His dispensations, and groaned
out, "All these things are against me," when they
are all working together for your good! Think how
often you have chosen sin because of its
pleasure, when indeed, that pleasure was a root
of bitterness to you!
Surely if we know our own heart we must plead
guilty to the indictment of a sinful folly; and
conscious of this "foolishness," we must make
David's consequent resolve our own--"Thou shalt
guide me with Thy counsel."

Evening: He Did Good
"Who went about doing good." --Acts 10:38

Few words, but yet an exquisite miniature of the
Lord Jesus Christ. There are not many touches,
but they are the strokes of a master's pencil. Of
the Saviour and only of the Saviour is it true in
the fullest, broadest, and most unqualified
sense. "He went about doing good." From this
description it is evident that He did good
personally. The evangelists constantly tell us
that He touched the leper with His own finger,
that He anointed the eyes of the blind, and that
in cases where He was asked to speak the word
only at a distance, He did not usually comply,
but went Himself to the sick bed, and there
personally wrought the cure. A lesson to us, if
we would do good, to do it ourselves. Give alms
with your own hand; a kind look, or word, will
enhance the value of the gift. Speak to a friend
about his soul; your loving appeal will have more
influence than a whole library of tracts.
Our Lord's mode of doing good sets forth His
incessant activity! He did not only the good
which came close to hand, but He "went about" on
His errands of mercy. Throughout the whole land
of Judea there was scarcely a village or a hamlet
which was not gladdened by the sight of Him. How
this reproves the creeping, loitering manner, in
which many professors serve the Lord. Let us gird
up the loins of our mind, and be not weary in
well doing. Does not the text imply that Jesus
Christ went out of His way to do good? "He went
about doing good." He was never deterred by
danger or difficulty. He sought out the objects
of His gracious intentions. So must we. If old
plans will not answer, we must try new ones, for
fresh experiments sometimes achieve more than regular methods.
Christ's perseverance, and the unity of His
purpose, are also hinted at, and the practical
application of the subject may be summed up in
the words, "He hath left us an example that we
should follow in His steps."

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/IYOolB/TM
Daftar : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Keluar : [EMAIL PROTECTED]