From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Daily devotions for 11-14-2004:
Devotion: Morning and Evening
Morning Title: The One or Another
Evening Title: Taken in Order
Do you enjoy this devotional? Send it on to a friend!

Morning: The One or Another
"I will cut off them that worship and that swear by the Lord, and that swear by
Malcham."
--Zephaniah 1:5

   Such persons thought themselves safe because they were with both parties:
they went with the followers of Jehovah, and bowed at the same time to Malcham.
But duplicity is abominable with God, and hypocrisy His soul hateth. The
idolater who distinctly gives himself to his false god, has one sin less than
he who brings his polluted and detestable sacrifice unto the temple of the
Lord, while his heart is with the world and the sins thereof. To hold with the
hare and run with the hounds, is a dastard's policy. In the common matters of
daily life, a double- minded man is despised, but in religion he is loathsome
to the last degree. The penalty pronounced in the verse before us is terrible,
but it is well deserved; for how should divine justice spare the sinner, who
knows the right, approves it, and professes to follow it, and all the while
loves the evil, and gives it dominion in his heart?

   My soul, search thyself this morning, and see whether thou art guilty of
double-dealing. Thou professest to be a follower of Jesus--dost thou truly love
Him? Is thy heart right with God? Art thou of the family of old Father Honest,
or art thou a relative of Mr. By-ends? A name to live is of little value if I
be indeed dead in trespasses and sins. To have one foot on the land of truth,
and another on the sea of falsehood, will involve a terrible fall and a total
ruin. Christ will be all or nothing. God fills the whole universe, and hence
there is no room for another god; if, then, He reigns in my heart, there will
be no space for another reigning power. Do I rest alone on Jesus crucified, and
live alone for Him? Is it my desire to do so? Is my heart set upon so doing? If
so, blessed be the mighty grace which has led me to salvation; and if not so, O
Lord, pardon my sad offence, and unite my heart to fear Thy name.

Evening: Taken in Order
"And Laban said, It must not be so done in our country, to give the younger
before the
firstborn."   --Genesis 29:26

   We do not excuse Laban for his dishonesty, but we scruple not to learn from
the custom which he quoted as his excuse. There are some things which must be
taken in order, and if we would win the second we must secure the first. The
second may be the more lovely in our eyes, but the rule of the heavenly country
must stand, and the elder must be married first. For instance, many men desire
the beautiful and well-favoured Rachel of joy and peace in believing, but they
must first be wedded to the tender-eyed Leah of repentance.
Every one falls in love with happiness, and many would cheerfully serve twice
seven years to enjoy it, but according to the rule of the Lord's kingdom, the
Leah of real holiness must be
beloved of our soul before the Rachel of true happiness can be attained. Heaven
stands not
first but second, and only by persevering to the end can we win a portion in
it. The cross must be carried before the crown can be worn. We must follow our
Lord in His humiliation, or we shall never rest with Him in glory.

   My soul, what sayest thou, art thou so vain as to hope to break through the
heavenly rule? Dost thou hope for reward without labour, or honour without
toil? Dismiss the idle expectation, and be content to take the ill-favoured
things for the sake of the sweet love of Jesus, which will
recompense thee for all. In such a spirit, labouring and suffering, thou wilt
find bitters grow sweet, and hard things easy. Like Jacob, thy years of service
will seem unto thee but a few
days for the love thou hast to Jesus; and when the dear hour of the wedding
feast shall come,
all thy toils shall be as though they had never been--an hour with Jesus will
make up for ages of pain and labour.

           Jesus, to win Thyself so fair,
           Thy cross I will with gladness bear:
           Since so the rules of heaven ordain,