From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Daily devotions for 11-28-2004:
Devotion: Morning and Evening
Morning Title: The Truth in Us
Evening Title: Not Self-Seeking
Do you enjoy this devotional? Send it on to a friend!

Morning: The Truth in Us
"For I rejoiced greatly, when the brethren came and testified of the truth that
is in thee, even
as thou walkest in the truth."   --3 John 3

The truth was in Gaius, and Gaius walked in the truth. If the first had not
been the case, the
second could never have occurred; and if the second could not be said of him
the first would
have been a mere pretence. Truth must enter into the soul, penetrate and
saturate it, or else it
is of no value. Doctrines held as a matter of creed are like bread in the hand,
which ministers no nourishment to the frame; but doctrine accepted by the
heart, is as food digested, which, by assimilation, sustains and builds up the
body. In us truth must be a living force, an
active energy, an indwelling reality, a part of the woof and warp of our being.
If it be in us,
we cannot henceforth part with it. A man may lose his garments or his limbs,
but his inward parts are vital, and cannot be torn away without absolute loss
of life. A Christian can die, but he cannot deny the truth.

Now it is a rule of nature that the inward affects the outward, as light shines
from the
centre of the lantern through the glass: when, therefore, the truth is kindled
within, its
brightness soon beams forth in the outward life and conversation. It is said
that the food of
certain worms colours the cocoons of silk which they spin: and just so the
nutriment upon which a man's inward nature lives gives a tinge to every word
and deed proceeding from him. To walk in the truth, imports a life of
integrity, holiness, faithfulness, and simplicity--the natural product of those
principles of truth which the gospel teaches, and which the Spirit of God
enables us to receive. We may judge of the secrets of the soul by their
manifestation in the man's conversation. Be it ours to-day, O gracious Spirit,
to be ruled and governed by Thy divine authority, so that nothing false or
sinful may reign in our hearts, lest it extend its malignant influence to our
daily walk among men.

Evening: Not Self-Seeking
"Seeking the wealth of his people." --Esther 10:3

Mordecai was a true patriot, and therefore, being exalted to the highest
position under Ahasuerus, he used his eminence to promote the prosperity of
Israel. In this he was a type of Jesus, who, upon His throne of glory, seeks
not His own, but spends His power for His people. It were well if every
Christian would be a Mordecai to the church, striving according to his ability
for its prosperity. Some are placed in stations of affluence and influence, let
them honour their Lord in the high places of the earth, and testify for Jesus
before great men. Others have what is far better, namely, close fellowship with
the King of kings, let them be sure to plead daily for the weak of the Lord's
people, the doubting, the tempted, and the comfortless. It will redound to
their honour if they make much intercession for those who are in darkness and
dare not draw nigh unto the mercy seat. Instructed believers may serve their
Master greatly if they lay out their talents for the general good, and impart
their wealth of heavenly learning to others, by teaching them the things of
God. The very least in our Israel may at least seek the welfare of his people;
and his desire, if he can give no more, shall be acceptable. It is at once the
most Christlike and the most happy course for a believer to cease from living
to himself. He who blesses others cannot fail to be blessed himself.
On the other hand, to seek our own personal greatness is a wicked and unhappy
plan of life,
its way will be grievous and its end will be fatal.

Here is the place to ask thee, my friend, whether thou art to the best of thy
power seeking the
wealth of the church in thy neighbourhood? I trust thou art not doing it
mischief by bitterness and scandal, nor weakening it by thy neglect. Friend,
unite with the Lord's poor, bear
their cross, do them all the good thou canst, and thou shalt not miss thy
reward.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/IYOolB/TM
Daftar : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Keluar : [EMAIL PROTECTED]