David Sean Taylor wrote:

>I've been meaning to do this for a while now.
>There are lots of empty directories.
>From what I understand, we must delete these directories directly from
>Apache's file system.

You can use the -P (prune) option when updating cvs and it will clean
those directories that have no files (except the CVS dir).

cvs update -d -P will also create new directories, which cvs does not do
by default.

Cleaning directories directly in the repository is tricky. I would
instead keep the old repository for reference, and re-import into a new one.

>>The main target of the clean-up would be all the non-functional code
>>(like CocoonPortlet) and
>>examples or obsolete/unused code (most of the legacy ECS controls or
>>controllers stuff).
>>
>>There are 3 options to deal with these:
>>- keep them in CVS, mark them as deprecated and remove them in an
>>ulterior release
>>

>-1
>

>>- move all these components in a separate archive/attic directory and
>>let them die in this
>>  repository
>>

>-1
>

>>- remove them completely from the CVS tree.
>>

>+1
>

>>I'd personnally vote to completely remove all non-functional
>>code like
>>the CocoonPortlet
>>from the CVS as well as all the legacy components that have a direct
>>"modern" functional replacement.
>>I would also recommend moving all the unused components that have not
>>been directly
>>superceded by new ones into a contrib directory (current named
>>jakarta-jetspeed/modules)
>>
>>If committers can give me their opinions quickly, I can deal
>>with the clean-up this week.
>>
>>Additionally, there are a couple of features for which I'm
>>not sure of their real status/use:
>>
>>- JCM: is it worth keeping it as is or should write a simple
>>  Torque-based message board replacement ?
>>

>What is it?

I think some people still use it, though I'm not sure. A vm based
message board would be better.

>>- WAP: is somebody actively looking at WML support to make sure it
>>  doesn't break. If no, should drop WML support ?
>>

>Keep it! It does work and it is used.
>

>>- JSP/VM: Is there any added value to support the two templating
>>  engines is a symmetric fashion or should simply write all the
>>  components in one of these, knowing that we can still include
>>  elements from either type if required.
>>  If we chose to maintain symmetrically both environments, who's going
>>  to make sure they are at parity level featurewise ?
>>

>I'd like to keep them both, but don't have time to 'assure parity
>levels'

One of the missing pieces here is having all the velocity tools as
taglibs. I would like to have something that would generate
automatically taglibs from beans, much like Castor, so that we can
update easily the jsp examples using taglibs.

While I don't like much jsp, it is used in a lot of places, and it is
still the "official" way to develop pages. So at least a way to help
users familiar with jsp to understand the jetspeed internals would be great.