> Wow.  So you are saying that if you want to do MVC style development that
> you _should not_ use Jetspeed 2? Ok.

No.  The MVC model is not provided by the portal, it is not the domain of the portal!
This is the current problem with J1, it is all bundled together, which handcuffs the
end developer from doing what she/he really wants to plus I t generally makes
everything a mess.

Portlet applications are separate from the portal.  Portlets SHOULD NOT rely on the
portal for anything outside of what the spec provides.  I don't think it wise for us
to try and recreate a web application framework when there are so many out there.

We could eventually write a specialized MVC framework like the current one in J1 that
could hook directly into the Portal's functionality.  However, that is not as
important right now.  Plus it would make the portlets non-portable.

Also, if we wanted to publish common services for portlets to consume it would have to
be done in manner were those commons services can easily be ported to other
containers.  I think this type of functionality is desirable, but again it is not at
the top of the list.

What is the domain of the portal?
- profiling
- personalization
- navigation
- security
- page aggregation
- request dispatching
- standardized presentation through themes and skinning
- handling WSRP based portlets
- (possibly) inter-portlet communication

You are more than welcome to expand on any/all of these.  By all means submit formal
proposals and I will commit them to the CVS.

Regards,
| Scott T Weaver                 |
| <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>            |
| Apache Jetspeed Portal Project |