Guys,

I use JPackage RPM installs for tomcat4 and tomcat5 on Linux. Over the last day or two, I have been struggling to get a clean startup on tomcat5. After I eliminated all of my stupid user tricks, I was able to get everything to deploy cleanly only after customizing the setting of autodeployment.catalina.base in jetspeed.properties/override.properties. The reason this is necessary is that the default setting, ${applicationRoot}/../../, does not resolve to the base tomcat5 install directory that contains conf, (primarily due to copious use of symbolic links and the relocation of config files to /etc on Linux). The deployer requires access to this directory to install the security.xml file in conf/Catalina/localhost.

I'd like to propose setting the autodeployment.catalina.base property from the org.apache.jetspeed.server.home customized build.properties setting. In development, this could be integrated into portal/maven.xml as is done with the other autodeployment properties. Of course, this will definitely kill the property-less install goal.

We could also apply some kind of search path specification there as well, (i.e. '${applicationRoot}/../../, /etc/tomcat${autodeployment.catalina.version.major}/, /usr/share/tomcat${autodeployment.catalina.version.major}/, c:/Program Files/Tomcat/'), that would work for most common deployments.

If this were only a production issue, I'd just set the property in override.properties and be done with it. However, my primary concern is for development ease of use.

Thoughts?

Randy