Scott T. Weaver wrote:

Randy Watler wrote:

Guys,

I use JPackage RPM installs for tomcat4 and tomcat5 on Linux. Over the last day or two, I have been struggling to get a clean startup on tomcat5. After I eliminated all of my stupid user tricks, I was able to get everything to deploy cleanly only after customizing the setting of autodeployment.catalina.base in jetspeed.properties/override.properties. The reason this is necessary is that the default setting, ${applicationRoot}/../../, does not resolve to the base tomcat5 install directory that contains conf, (primarily due to copious use of symbolic links and the relocation of config files to /etc on Linux). The deployer requires access to this directory to install the security.xml file in conf/Catalina/localhost.

Doesn't Tomcat have a way to deploy an xml descriptor ?
I would prefer this approach if possible

I'd like to propose setting the autodeployment.catalina.base property from the org.apache.jetspeed.server.home customized build.properties setting. In development, this could be integrated into portal/maven.xml as is done with the other autodeployment properties.

+1 (development)

Of course, this will definitely kill the property-less install goal.

We need to document this as part of the install procedure
Best if the installer could prompt for the settings

We could also apply some kind of search path specification there as well, (i.e. '${applicationRoot}/../../, /etc/tomcat${autodeployment.catalina.version.major}/, /usr/share/tomcat${autodeployment.catalina.version.major}/, c:/Program Files/Tomcat/'), that would work for most common deployments.

If this were only a production issue, I'd just set the property in override.properties and be done with it. However, my primary concern is for development ease of use.

Thoughts?

+1, sounds good to me.

Randy

David Sean Taylor