Dear Stefano,

thanks for your answer. But trying out your tip showed me that that wasn't the problem. Because if you look at the code of the top.vm, you can see that this value in the default.vm is changed by the value in the default.css (although when you look at the generated portal-sourcecode it still says #ffffff; but if you change the value in the default.css, the color of the portal also changes). I found out my problem was that I had to set the background for the <td>-tags in the default.css to #f5f5f5 (the whole screen in jetspeed is build with tables). Now it works just fine.

But I have another question: How/where can I change the percentage of 3 components that build the page (top.vm, left.vm, bottom.vm). How can I change it in a way, that the bottom.vm is always shown at the bottom of the screen, even if I only show one portlet (because then it appears just below that portlet somewhere in the middle of the screen)?

Thanks a lot for your help,
Sven.