In fact jar file loading requires the same directory structure you
describe, classloaders generally work on this principle and always
have.  Basic Java stuff.

Since putting the classes in a correct directory structure is my default
behavior but I haven't gotten it to work,  I think it is at least partially
dependant on your JVM/Tomcat version or perhaps was a problem with Jetspeed
that is now fixed.  My comment was, Jar files always work, so I use them.

-tk