Just a general note, to the speed, the others have given hints
on how to speed things up already. The mentioned speed in the
beginning of this thread is definitely not normal. I currently
develop into a local jetspeed server and none of my portlets had a
response time
above more than a few miliseconds (tomcat 4.1 increased the speed
which already was good in 3.3.x)

First of all. The first startup takes a little bit of time since
JSPs have to be compiled but after that it should run almost as fast
as a normal JSP page, Velocity is close to non existent in the loading
times. The speed difference between custom JSP pages an jetspeed
portlets/portals is neglegtable from what I saw on my development
system. Kudos to the Velocity/Jetspeed/Turbine developers for that they
did one hell of a job.