To do this, I created a service that, given a file, caches the file and
generates a random string (actually, a base-64-encoded 128 bit random
number).

The caller then uses this string as a parameter on the download url.  The
raw screen grabs the string from the parameter, and fetches the file from
the service using the string.

I use the TTL on the cache to make sure that the string is only good for a
limited amount of time.  If the string isn't found in the cache, then I
return an "access denied" error.

-- Michael