If you don't require any type of user management directly thorugh the portal, you could just replace the current security valve with your own implementation that hits an LDAP server. I am using this approach to hook into an existing single sign-on soultion (non-LDAP).

Chamberlain James O. CONTR J9C998 wrote:

Chamberlain James O. CONTR J9C998 wrote:

I have been digging through the design documents and cvs looking at how the security is handled in Jetspeed 2. I am interested

in having

Jetspeed authenticate & authorize against LDAP instead of

the database.

Me too.
Considering Eve as the default Apache solution:

http://incubator.apache.org/directory/subprojects/eve/

That's cool, I wasn't aware that Apache was working on a Java based LDAP solution.

One question that I have is: How will Jetspeed deal with

users being

created, updated, and removed with it's knowledge?

Im looking into writing an LDAP User Manager for J2

If for instance I

hooked it to Active Directory and used the default AD tools

to admin

the users and groups how would Jetspeed deal with these users and groups changing. First time a user logs into the portal would it auto-create the user's preferences, generate a default page

based off some template?

Any issues in this area?

Im just starting to prototype user creation, default pages, profiles and user attributes. User attributes is an interesting area. I was thinking that the user manager could handle the mapping from the backend user
store(s) to the normalized user attributes made available to the portal.

I was thinking about implementing a user manager, but in my environment
I would not be able to use it for write operations to the directory.
Most likely I would be plugging the portal into a directory that I would
not have direct control over and would be read-only for me. For instance
if the portal was deployed company wide it would probably use a
pre-existing Active Directory infrastructure. So I am wondering how well
Jetspeed would function without any way of knowing when a new user is
created or an existing user removed. Would default pages be created,
would it break anything in the portal that would be counting on knowing
when a user is created, updated, or removed?

There are two camps in the portal community on how to handle external
authentication / authorization: 1. Ones that can use external sources
and can deal with users, groups, and roles changing without being
notified and 2. Others that really need to know about those events and
inturn replicate the data from the external source to internal
databases.

-James

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people."
 - Admiral Hyman Rickover

*           Scott T. Weaver               *
*         <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>             *
*     <http://www.einnovation.com>        *
*   Apache Jetspeed Enterprise Portal     *
*     Apache Pluto Portlet Container      *
* OpenEditPro, Website Content Management *
*     <http://www.openeditpro.com>        *