We have no problem deploying jetspeed 1.4 into JBoss 3.2.5 after
incorporating the synchronization fix in turbine documented here:

***
Index: src/java/org/apache/turbine/services/BaseInitableBroker.java
RCS file:
/home/cvspublic/jakarta-turbine-2/src/java/org/apache/turbine/services/BaseInitableBroker.java,v

retrieving revision 1.2
diff -r1.2 BaseInitableBroker.java
248c248
< protected Initable getInitableInstance( String className )
---
> protected synchronized Initable getInitableInstance( String className
)
***

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JS1-405

Shao.