I think it has nothing to do with the portlets since the only changes
he (Dan) made was the number of users.
I suggest to do some profiling (both IBM and Oracle stuff can help )
to the jetspped instance to see what is going on.
I used to work on J1 last year and I did found some scalability issues on it.
I donno if they still exist on not.

Regards ,

Regards, Youssef