Marina,

If you are doing this manually, you also need to set
up the role hierarchy manager.  In SQL terms, this
means something like this:

INSERT INTO PREFS_NODE
VALUES(200,196,'dce-admin-role',0,'/role/dce-admin-role','2004-05-22
16:27:12.472','2004-05-22 16:27:12.472');

You can also use the RoleManager to add the role you
want to set up.

Regards,

David.

--- Marina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks, Randy,
>
> I tried adding the new role directly into the HSQL
> DB
> like this:
> INSERT INTO SECURITY_PRINCIPAL

VALUES(15,'org.apache.jetspeed.security.JetspeedRolePrincipalImpl',0,1,'/role/dce-admin-role','2004-12-15
> 16:27:12.572','2004-12-15 16:27:12.572');
>
> I ran this sql query directly on the HSQL DB,
> without
> modifying the populate-userinfo-for-default-psml.sql
> and rebuilding J2.
>
> After I restarted J2, though, the new role is still
> not displayed in the list of available roles in the
> "Role Management" portlet. And asigning this role to
> user through the "User Manegement" portlet did not
> work either.
>
> Is this the only table I have to update
> ('security_principal') in order to create a new
> role,
> or are there some other related tables that I
> missed?
>
> Thanks,
> Marina
>
> --- Randy Watler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Marina,
> >
> > There you have it, (thanks David).
> >
> > It is a simple matter to add users, roles, groups,
> > etc. directly to the
> > DB in the interim. See one of the following
> scripts:
> >
> > CVS -
> src/sql/populate-userinfo-for-default-psml.sql
> > CVS - src/sql/<db
> > name>/populate-userinfo-for-default-psml.sql
> > M1 -

jetspeed-database/scripts/sql/DML/populate-userinfo-for-default-psml.sql