Doug Schnelzer wrote:

Randy,

Thanks for the guidance.  Putting the login portlet in a plain page in the
guest directory and protecting everything else works well.  In the future,
it would be nice to dynamically show/hide portlets on a page based on a
user's role.

It is definitely under consideration... odds are it will be there in M2 if I had to guess, but others need to weigh in.

As I dig in further, can you point me in the right direction for learning more about how the profiler works? Should I just follow the Jetspeed2 source code? If so, can you point me at a Java class to start with?

First, look and understand the examples shipped with J2. Try logging in as user/user and jetspeed/jetspeed. Compare what you see with the various content pages and other elements in the pages directories. For more detail, check out this document:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-jetspeed-2/design-docs/src/profiler/J2-page-manager-profiling.sxw

This is an OpenOffice document. I can email you another format if you'd like. The source code for all of this resides in /components/profiler and /components/page-manager, but it is not trivial. Feel free to ask questions here so that others can read about the profiler and how to configure it!

Also as I browse through the WEB-INF/pages directory structure, there seems
to be psml files that aren't displayed (e.g. pages/_user/user/p003.psml and
pages/_user/user/nested-layout.psml).

These are simply user files for 'user', (instead of 'guest')! Login as user/user.

 I'd like to learn more about how this
works.  Is the psml documentation for Jetspeed 1 applicable?

Personally, I'd prefer if you stick with J2 resources and asking questions here. We can also contribute to the wiki as we go, (if nothing else we can link back to user list threads).

 If not can you
recommend a better starting point (part of the source code is fine) for some
self-study on overall navigation and layout?

The easiest thing is to look at the examples. For a better understanding of navigations/layout, look at the Velocity, (*.vm), templates in the WEB-INF/decorations/layout/html/tigris and WEB-INF/decorations/portlet/html/tigris directories. Most of all, don't be shy on this list!

Thanks very much,
Doug

No problem... good luck with J2!

Randy