Marina,

David is the Profiler Master, so he is much more qualified to explain its
configuration and inner workings. The source is in components/profiler.

See comments below...

>  It seems that profiling rules are assigned to the
>users based on the user names.

Yes.

> At least this is what I
>see in the PRINCIPAL_RULE_ASSOC table - I created a
>new user, 'dce_admin', and assigned a 'security'
>profiling rule to it, and the ("dce_admin", "page",
>"security") values got inserted into the
>PRINCIPAL_RULE_ASSOC table.

Just FYI, the locator/rule name "security" has special meaning in J2... you
might want to pick another name for your custom rule to avoid confusion. The
"security" locator/rule is used when a user has an expired password and must
select a new one. See details in the archives of the dev list.

>  Now my question: how could I assign a profiling rule
>to a rolename, not a username?
>For example, I might want all users with the
>'dce_admin_role'  role to use the 'security' rule.

We have discussed this, but it is not been implemented yet. There is a
global default mechanism in place: if you specify a PRINCIPAL_RULE_ASSOC
entry with a username of '*", it will be used for all users. This feature
may not be implemented in this way in the future, but there certainly will
be some other way to do the same thing.

Randy