No, 2.4 has a Schema definition.

Use the following:

  <web-app xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee";
           http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd";
           version="2.4">

and read Servlet 2.4 SRV.6.2.5 Filters and the RequestDispatcher.

Xavier Lawrence wrote:
So to do that, I need to specify the DTD version 2.4 in the DOCTYPE ???

Tomcat 5 still supports Servlet 2.3 and if you don't define your web.xml
as requiring 2.4
it will behave as a 2.3 container.

Xavier Lawrence wrote:

I am using Tomcat 5.0.28

I guess you are not running under Servlet 2.4?
Then it won't work.
Only since Servlet 2.4 will filters work for dispatched requests.

Xavier Lawrence wrote:

Hello,

I have a working struts application that I am trying to change to a
portlet. I was asking myself how were filters managed in the portlet
world. I seem to have a slight problem with those, they seem to be not
considered by the portlet.

That is, the non-portlet webApp works fine, but the portlet struts app
encounters problems because some filter methods don't seem to be
called...

Any help is appreciated on the subject. Below is a piece of my web.xml
file

<filter> <filter-name>XSLT Filter</filter-name> <filter-class>edu.rpi.sss.util.servlets.ConfiguredXSLTFilter</filter-class> <init-param> <param-name>debug</param-name> <param-value>0</param-value> </init-param> <init-param> <param-name>directoryBrowsingDisallowed</param-name> <param-value>no</param-value> </init-param> </filter>

<filter>
  <filter-name>SvcI Filter</filter-name>
  <filter-class>edu.rpi.cct.uwcal.webcommon.UWCalSvciFilter</filter-class>
  <init-param>
    <param-name>debug</param-name>
    <param-value>0</param-value>
  </init-param>