I'd go further and say that in a perfect world, user documentation shouldn't be needed at all because the software would be so intuitive that users would be able to understand it immediately.

Nobody really likes writing documentation... and nobody really likes reading it to get the job done :)

Please note I said in a perfect world and I'm only talking about user documentation :)

On a more serious (and realistic) note, I agree with Rafaël completely.

cheers,
 Serge...

Raphaël Luta wrote:

Hema Menon wrote:

I tend to agree to the "good developers/bad documentors" theory.
However its not always easy to work with lack of/no documentation to a
product. Yes, user experience is the best form of documentation. Will
try to use Wiki to give more feedback, that could help others too.

My point was not to imply that user should document the product with
their experiences, simply that user feedback is a great tool for
developers to build a *useful* documentation without spending too
much energy documenting every features in one go...
It enables us to identify where explanations are needed and what can
be made more intuitive.