> User: ingo
> Date: 01/02/20 04:27:57
>
> Modified:    xdocs    content-syndication.xml developer-notes.xml
> features.xml resources.xml usejetspeed.xml wap.xml
> Log:
> [docs] trailing slashes in URLs
>
> <ul>

Ok,

I think we need more education here. :-)

Trailing slashes are ONLY needed in the following case:

    If the URI ends with a directory.

No other time is a trailing slash needed. If a URI looks like the URL's
above, you don't need it. In fact, in the case of a URI that ends with a
suffix (ie: file vs. directory), you will get an error. In other words, the
above links to the .rdf files return "Not Found" errors now.

So, here is an example HTTP session of me trying to connect working-dogs.com
and GET a directory that doesn't have a trailing slash. As you can see, the
web server (apache) creates a 301 Location Moved Permanently response. This
means that because of that little missing trailing slash, we have to make a
round trip connection to the server.

telnet www.working-dogs.com 80
Trying 205.227.191.23...
Connected to www.working-dogs.com.