I hope you didn't strain yourself with that leap of judgment.

I did not extend my critique to other acts such as God forbid terror or
murder, only to the type of thinking that seems to be common to fundamentist
groups in most major religions. Nor does it include all Orthodox or
Orthodoxy -- only the kind that seeks to impose its will and interpretation
on others. Nor did I mean it as name-calling -- I was simply dealing with a
way of thinking.

Our Jewish religion has so many positive aspects. It's sad that certain
factions only address the no-nos.  Where are the yes-yesses? Why don't they
speak of those things instead? The Baal-Shem Tov addressed the positive
aspects in joy and love.  What a model for us all, Chasidic or not.  I
suspect that if he came upon a woman singing while on a walk in the woods,
he would take it as another aspect of the voice of God and not deliver her a
lecture on Kol Isha.

Sylvia Schildt

on 3/2/03 2:08 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I know that this issue is a sore point (to say the least) for many on the
> list, but I hardly see this as an excuse for branding Orthodox Jews who hold
> by Kol Isha as "holding people hostage", or worse, equating them with the
> Taliban. I hardly think it appropriate to compare them to the group that
> supports the Al-Quaeda terrorists who have shown only barbarianism in their
> mass-murder attacks in New York. Perhaps I misunderstood and one only meant to
> compare them to fundamentalist Muslims (who also support the murder of
> innocent civilians in the name of religion). At what point are we going to say
> that name-calling is enough? How far do the insults have to go until we
> realize that there is intolerance here?
>

> Elie

Hosted by Shamash: The Jewish Network  http://shamash.org
A service of Hebrew College, which offers online courses and an
online MA in Jewish Studies, http://hebrewcollege.edu/online/

* * FREE JEWISH LEARNING * *
Shamash invites you to join MyJewishLearning.com, a comprehensive,
objective, authoritative and interactive learning resource in all areas
of Judaism.  Free membership via http://www.myjewishlearning.com/shamash