At 10:12 AM 4/28/03, Gavriel Bellino wrote:
1. What is the source of the words? (I researched the phrase in the
Biblical and Rabbinic literature and drew a blank. Is it a loose
rephrasing of a biblical theme? If so which one? I have a few ideas, but
nothing too elucidating. ) Is it a poetic creation for the sake of a
song, like Hava Nagilah?

The phrase Am Yisrael ("the Jewish people") is not liturgical and, as you indicate, not scriptural; it probably arose with Zionism, and along with it, the slogan "Am Yisrael Chai". But Am Yisrael is very close to some biblical phrases, and the differences are noteworthy. The common biblical equivalent to Am Yisrael is simply Yisrael. We also find B'ney Yisrael ("the progeny of Israel") or Beyt Yisrael ("the house of Israel"), phrases that retain the tribal associations with an ancestor called Yisrael (=Jacob) -- along the lines of Beyt Aharon, Beyt Ya'akov, Beyt [ha-]Levi -- rather than an independent "people."

The biblical phrases that do contain "Am-" in connection with "Yisrael" seem to further negate the notion of an "independent people" inasmuch as they are always combined with a pronoun (usually referring to God). Thus we find Amcha Yisrael, Ami Yisrael and Amo Yisrael, but no Am Yisrael.

DEUTERONOMY 21.9
Absolve, O Lord, Your people Israel whom You redeemed, and do not let guilt for the blood of the innocent remain among Your people Israel.

KINGS 6.13
I will abide among the children of Israel, and I will never forsake My people Israel.

CHRONICLES 6.6
But then I chose Jerusalem for My name to abide there, and I chose David to rule My people Israel.

DANIEL 9.20
While I was speaking, praying, and confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel...

JEREMIAH 30.3
For days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will restore the fortunes of My people Israel and Judah, said the Lord...

PSALMS 135.12
...and gave their lands as a heritage, as a heritage to His people Israel.

JOEL 4.2
I will gather all the nations
And bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat.
There I will contend with them
Over My very own people, Israel,
Which they scattered among the nations.

Cantor Sam Weiss === Jewish Community Center of Paramus, NJ

Hosted by Shamash: The Jewish Network http://shamash.org A service of Hebrew College, which offers online courses and an
online MA in Jewish Studies, http://hebrewcollege.edu/online/

* * FREE JEWISH LEARNING * *
Shamash invites you to join MyJewishLearning.com, a comprehensive,
objective, authoritative and interactive learning resource in all areas
of Judaism.  Free membership via http://www.myjewishlearning.com/shamash